United Kingdom
Royal Horse Artillery

Carte-de-Visite, studio G.W. Lawrie in Kussowlie and Umballa

Royal Horse Artillery

This Other Ranks artilleryman is a 1878-80 Second Afghan War veteran, as shown by his wearing the Afgan War Medal with two Clasps.

10 Horse Artillery batteries took part in the war, but only one of them took part in more than one battle granting a Clasp :
F Battery A Brigade, which was present at Peiwar Kotal, Charasiab, and Kabul.

The Battery served in the Kuram Field Force under Sir Frederick Roberts, who would declare, on being granted the freedom of the City of London, on February 14th, 1881, "in recognition of his gallant services in Afghanistan, wher, supported by brave soldiers, he so well and nobly upheld he prestige and reputation of the British Army" :
"(..) When I was appointed to the command of the Kuram Valley Field Force in October, 1878, that force consisted of one regiment of British and five regiments of Native infantry ; one squadron of British and two regiments of Native cavalry, one battery of Royal Horse Artillery, and two batteries of Native mountain artillery. The British elemant was so weak that it was imperative it should be of the very best material. In the artillery and cavalry it was so, nothing could have been finar than the F Battery of the A Brigade of Royal Horse Artillery and the squadron of the 10th Hussars - and why ? Because, gentlemen, as you probably all know, the short service system has as yet been only partially applied to those branches of the service. The men were old and seasoned soldiers. I believe I am correct in saying that there was not one death in the battery from diseases for several months, and such a thing as a man falling out on the line of march was unknown ; although their endurance was severely tried by having to trudge on foot, while the guns were carried on elephants,  the difficulties of the mountainous country rendering it impossible at times to take wheeled artillery with us. (...)"

The Battery would stay at Umballa in the early 1880s before being ordered to Meerut in 1884.