photographs display the same trooper at different epochs - as the beard
There was no Troop in Weymouth, but the city was home to yearly Training
and Inspection of the Dorset Yeomanry from 1860 to 1892 - after which
they were brigaded with the Hampshire Carabiniers, and started training
The evolution of their uniform is told by Capt.
Charles William Thompson in the "Records of the
Dorset Imperial Yeomanry (Queen's Own)" (Dorchester, 1894).
On February 26th, 1859, the Lieut.-Colonel Commandant ordered
"the new Regulation Light Dragoon Tunic and blue Trousers with
white Stripes for the Regiment."
"The tunic is strictly similar to the Light Dragoon Pattern with
this exception, that there are three loops of cord on the breast instead
of five. Lace silver, Facings scarlet." (...)
January, 1885, the following changes in the Uniform of the Regiment
were ordered :
"The Tunics of all ranks to be converted to Hussar pattern by the
addition of three bars or loops of lace or braid as the case may be."
February 26th, 1859, the Lieut.-Colonel Commandant ordered "the
new Regulation Light Dragoon Tunic and blue Trousers with white Stripes
for the Regiment."(...)
The trousers of the same colour as the Tunic with White Cloth Stripes
for all parades, etc., when the scarlet stripes were formerly worn,
and silver stripes for full dress." (...)
: This was the first year that the old Booted Overalls were replaced
by pantaloons, and the men were ordered to wear "their own Butcher
Boots" on all mounted Parades.
In April, 1881, the following changes were made in the Uniform
of the Regiment :
Head dress : Busbies instead of Chacos. The busby to have red bag, white
lines and boss, and plain white plume.