United Kingdom
15th (The King's) Hussars

Carte-de-Visite, Studio Owen Angel in Exeter 
Sub-Lieutenant Studd, 15th Hussars

This photograph is identified in the back as "Alnod Studd 1857-1906"

Alnod Ernest Studd was the second son of Major-General Edward Mortlock Studd.
He was educated at Eton 1871-1873.

He was gazetted a sub-lieutenant in the 15th Hussars on September 10th, 1875.
The regiment was in India at that time, and Sub-Lieutenant Studd, along with Sub-Lieutenant Gavin, sailed from Portsmouth on board "Her Majesty's Indian troopshp Euphrates, Capt. Cuming", on January 5th, 1876.

The Euphrates was also bringing on that trip "the 14th Hussars, consisting of 26 officers, 453 men, 58 women , and 100 children". The trip is thus recalled by Herbert Crompton in his souvenirs "A King's Hussar - Being the Military Memoirs for Twenty-five Years of a Troop Sergeant Major of the 14th (King's) Hussars" :

"(...) It was a bitterly cold day when the great white troopship steamed out of the harbour at Portsmouth,the band playing a lively air, and the crowd assembledon the quay giving us a hearty God-speed. (...)
We met with pretty rough weather down the Channel and through the Bay of Biscay, the "Euphrates" rolling as these mountain-high troopships can roll; and there was a great deal of sea-sickness amongst all ranks, the women and children suffering worst. On the first Sunday we passed Cape St. Vincent, and the weather being now clear and bright, could distinguish the objects on shore quite plainly, and even hear the distant pealing of the church bells ; and this with the blue sky overhead, and the calm sea around, was like a taste of Paradise after the Purgatory of the Bay. Divine service on board was a solemn and impressive ceremony, and especially so on the first occasion. The chaplain, in his white surplice, stood beside a drum, draped with the Union Jack, which served him as a reading-desk. On one side of the quarter-deck the sailors were drawn up in their blue and white uniforms, and on the other, the different troops, in their full dress, but bare-headed. The ladies, women and children were seated on forms in the centre, the whole deck being densely packed. When the hymns were struck up, I do believe every single man joined in them, and the volume of sound must have floated far over the waters, perhaps to the shore itself. The troops stood throughout the ceremony, filing in and out of their places at the word of command, just the same as if on parade.
(...) Not unfrequently the days were varied by a fire alarm, so that the troops might be well posted in their stations in the event of a real fire breaking out. It was surprising, when the bell rang, to see with what alacrity every officer and man reached his allotted station, and within five minutes or less of the first clanging, the order " Silence!" (equivalent at sea to " " Tention! ") was shouted and every one of the two thousand souls on board was standing at his appointed place. Only the throbbing of the restless screw could be heard, as the boatswain, from the bridge, standing by the officer in command, shouted out the various orders or piped his melancholy whistle. On these occasions the women and children were all bundled off to their quarters below, no distinction being made between officers' wives and the others, and it was no uncommon thing for one of the ladies, who might protest at being disturbed, to be lifted bodily off her feet by order of an officer and carried below to her cabin. Fire-alarm practice was varied by another which, if my recollection serves me right, was called " Prepare to leave the ship," and was exercised to prepare us for a collision at sea or shipwreck . The trooper carried an immense number of boats and rafts, all ready victualled and with the necessary gear in them, and these could be launched under a minute. When the alarm was sounded the men took up their stations as before, the women and children again hurried below, and in an incredibly short space of tune the officer in charge of each boat would shout out, " All ready to lower away, sir." We passed through the Suez Canal with the usual number of groundings and haulings off, and entered the Red Sea. The heat now became intense, and awnings were rigged up forward, as well as aft, whilst about a third of the men were permitted to sleep upon deck at night, in turns, a privilege that was greatly appreciated. When we were nearing the Straits of Babel Mandeb we met the merry old troopship Malabar (broken down as usual) homeward bound. The 18th Hussars, whom we were relieving, were on board, and many greetings were exchanged between the two ships, our band playing " Home, sweet home", as a compliment to them, and they responding with a hearty cheer. But although the well-known air and the circumstances brought back to the minds of all of us thoughts of " England, home, and beauty", I do not think there were many who would have changed places. For before us was the life of adventure and excitement in a foreign land, which most of us had been looking forward to for so long, and of which we in the 14th had heard so many yarns from our old hands before they drifted out of the regiment. On the evening of the thirtieth day after leaving Portsmouth we steamed into Bombay harbour, and took up our position for the night in line with the men-of-war anchored there."

He retuned to England some time later - and would sail  back for India, again on board the Euphrates, on December 30th, 1877.
The Euphrates reached Malta on January 9th, 1878, would be detained for some time at Port Said by an order from the Admiralty, leaving that place on January 15th and reaching Bombay on the 31st inst.

Alnod Ernest Studd would resign his commission on March 21st, 1879 - an intriguing date as the Second Afghan War was taking place then.
The Times would announce the following year :
(...) On the 1st Dec., at the residence of her mother, 133, Westbourne-terrace, Hyde-park, the wife of ALNOD ERNEST STUDD, of a daughter."

Alnod had married Rose Beatrice Maclean in early 1880. They will have at least four daughters.

He'll be heard of again - the Times relating on December 4th, 1901 :
"(Sittings in Bankruptcy, before MR. REGISTRAR LINKLATER.)
The public examination was held of Alnod Ernest Studd, described as of the East India Club, st. James's-square, and late of an address in Gloucester-square, Hyde-park, who had filed an amended statement of affairs showing gross liabilities 19,129 14s., ranking liabilities 11.763 5s. 10d., and assets 226 3s. 7d.
Mr. C.A. Pope appeared as Assistant Official Receiver ; and Mr. H.J.Adkin as solicitor for the petitioning creditor.
In answer to Mr.Pope, the debtor stated that from 1895 or 186 until March last he resided at 47, Gloucester-square, Hyde-park. the rent of the house was 150 a year. From 1890 till 185 he lived at Fourth-avenue, Brighton, at a rental of 200. He reitred from the Army in 1879, being then 21 years of age. Since then he had had no occupation whatever. About the year 1882 he was led into Stock Exchange speculations, which resulted in considerable losses. His people found some money to pay the losses, and eventually, in July, 1888, he borrowed 2,000 from a relative to settle the whole thing. He had since then paid her an annuity. Under the will of his father, Major-General Studd, he took a life interest in investments producing between 1,700 and 1,800 a year. The will was proved in 1878, and the income had since fallen to 1,200 to 1,300 a year. His interest under the will was defeasible in the event of his assigning, selling, transferring, charging, or encumbering, or otherwise disposing or attempting to dispose of the interest. he received the income down to the date of the receiving order. In 1891 he entered into partnership with a Mr.D.T.Brett for the purpose of carrying on a coffee estate at Bundara, Mysore, India. It was arranged that Mr.Brett should manage the estate.. He (the debtor) agreed to complete the purchase of a three-fourths share of the estate and to obtain the registration of his title, but owing to complications which ensued he did not do so. he did not receive a single penny from the estate, and it involved him in serious losses. Apart from the moneys which he paid away he was now liable in respect of the partnership to the amount of some 3,368. The debt in respect to which he was brought into bankruptcy was for unpaid interest on a mortgage of a house in the Drive, Hove, Brighton, which he purchased in 1895. The debt was under 200. Asked how his present deficiency of 11,537 had accumulated, the debtor replied that his income had fallen off ; his family had been growing up and his expenses increasing ; he had to pay interest on borrowed money ; and there were his loses through the coffee estate. His creditors had, by a very large majority, agreed to accep a cash composition of 7s. 6d. in the pound.
Examined by Mr. ADKIN.-He was under a contingent liability of between 2,000 and 3,000 to his wife in respect to money lent to him, for the repayment of which she was surety.
MR. REGISTRAR LINKELATER ordered the examination to be concluded." 

It is to be noted that Alnod was apparently a distinguished chess-player.
He died on May 14th, 1906.

The photograph shows us the typical pouch belt sported by the officers of the 15th Hussars.