The Royal Gloucestershire Hussars
|The first volunteers troops were raised
from 1797 in Gloucestershire, to be disbanded in 1827 when the
French threats were appeased. They would be raised again in 1830
by landowners further to agricultural riots. Those troops joined
to form the Gloucestershire Yeomanry in 1834.
Queen Victoria granted them the title
"Royal" in 1843. Moustaches were made compulsory
in 1846, and it was specified that "where it is impossible to
grow the article substitutes may be supplied from the barbers"
The uniform displays a special colour known as Badminton Blue, slightly lighter and more grayish than the usual army blue ; braiding is yellow. Of note is the simple pattern of the trefoil on the cuff. The barrel sash is scarlet and yellow.The trousers are adorned with a wide yellow stripe. The busby bag is scarlet, and the plume is white over red.