East Kent Mounted Rifles
|The East Kent Mounted Rifles were
the only Yeomanry Regiment with the "Mounted Rifles" denomination.
That title was adopted by the East Kent Yeomanry in 1853, when the Regiment was fitted with carbines - though it remained Yeomanry, and is not to be mixed up with Rifle Volunteer units.
The Royal title was granted in April 1856 by Queen Victoria.
In 1873, when the Duke of Connaught was appointed honorary Colonel, the Regiment became the Royal East kent Mounted Rifles (Duke of Connaught's Own).